|Organizations & people|
working to improve education systems
How their work relates to education systems
As the head of the World Bank's Education Practice, Saavedra oversees the organization's Human Capital Project, a global effort to accelerate more and better investments in people for greater equity and economic growth. A core component of this initiative is the recognition that eliminating the global learning crisis is an urgent development objective. Through the Human Capital Project, the World Bank aims to halve the number of children who fail to learn to read by age 10 by 2030, a bold target that will require a multitude of low- and middle-income countries to strengthen their education systems while also applying a set of targeted interventions to improve literacy.
At the World Bank, Saavedra also publishes research and policy recommendations aimed at education policymakers. His work covers areas such as achieving universal literacy and education system resilience in the age of COVID-19 (see 'Key publications related to education systems' below).
Saavedra currently leads the Education Global Practice at the World Bank, where he oversees a $20 billion portfolio of education financing. He rejoined the World Bank from the Government of Peru, where he served as Minister of Education from 2013 to 2016. During his ministership, the performance of Peru’s education system, as measured by international learning assessments, improved substantially.
Throughout his career, Saavedra has led groundbreaking work in the areas of poverty and inequality, employment and labor markets, the economics of education, and monitoring and evaluation systems. He has held positions at a number of international organizations and think-tanks, including the Inter-American Development Bank (IDB), Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC), International Labour Organization (ILO), Grupo de Análisis para el Desarollo (GRADE), and the National Council of Labor in Peru.
Prior to working for the Government of Peru, Saavedra spent a decade at the World Bank where, he served most recently as Director for Poverty Reduction and Equity as well as Acting Vice President of the Poverty Reduction & Economic Management Network. He has also held teaching positions at the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú, the Universidad del Pacífico de Perú, and the University of Toronto. Saavedra holds a Ph.D in economics from Columbia University and a Bachelor's degree in economics from the Catholic University of Peru.
- Saavedra Chanduvi,Jaime; Aedo Inostroza,Mario Cristian; Arias Diaz,Omar S.; Pushparatnam,Adelle; Gutierrez Bernal,Marcela; Rogers,F. Halsey. 2020. Realizing the Future of Learning: From Learning Poverty to Learning for Everyone, Everywhere. Washington, D.C. : World Bank Group. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/250981606928190510/Realizing-the-Future-of-Learning-From-Learning-Poverty-to-Learning-for-Everyone-Everywhere
- Azevedo, Joao Pedro; Crawford, Michael F.; Nayar, Reema; Rogers, F. Halsey; Barron Rodriguez, Maria Rebeca; Ding, Elaine Yi Zhong; Gutierrez Bernal, Marcela; Dixon, Annette; Saavedra Chanduvi, Jaime; Arias Diaz, Omar S. 2019. Ending Learning Poverty : What Will It Take? Washington, D.C. : World Bank Group. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/395151571251399043/Ending-Learning-Poverty-What-Will-It-Take
- World Bank. "Jaime Saavedra." https://www.worldbank.org/en/about/people/j/jaime-saavedra-chanduvi Accessed 2021-08-31.
- Human Capital Project - A Project for the World. World Bank.https://www.worldbank.org/en/publication/human-capital
- Craford et al. 2021. "Attaining the Learning Target : A Policy Package to Promote Literacy for All Children". World Bank.https://documents.worldbank.org/en/publication/documents-reports/documentdetail/565171627618840464/attaining-the-learning-target-a-policy-package-to-promote-literacy-for-all-children
- "Teach For All Welcomes Jaime Saavedra to Global Board of Directors". 2021. Teach for All. https://teachforall.org/news/teach-all-welcomes-jaime-saavedra-global-board-directors
- Jaime Saavedra. World Bank. https://www.worldbank.org/en/about/people/j/jaime-saavedra-chanduvi
- Emiliana Vegas and Pablo Zoido. 2017. "Latin American countries pay attention to global assessments of student learning". Brookings Institute. https://www.brookings.edu/blog/education-plus-development/2017/04/24/latin-american-countries-pay-attention-to-global-assessments-of-student-learning/
- Jaime Saavedra. The Dialogue. https://www.thedialogue.org/experts/jaime-saavedra/