Overviews of education systems
|Country-specific Edsyclopedia resources|
This is a list of websites that publish overviews of various aspects across different education systems.
Collections of country profiles
World Data on Education: Seventh edition 2010-11 (UNESCO International Bureau of Education)
- Description: "The seventh edition of World Data on Education contains detailed and systematized information on education systems of 163 countries worldwide, with a particular emphasis on curricula and curriculum development processes."
- Link: http://www.ibe.unesco.org/en/document/world-data-education-seventh-edition-2010-11
Systems Approach for Better Education Results (SABER) (World Bank)
- Description: "... At the country level, it provides education systems analyses, assessments, diagnosis, and opportunities for dialogue. At the global level, it improves the education systems knowledge base and uses this information to implement effective reforms. Using diagnostic tools and detailed policy information, SABER produces comparative data and knowledge about education system policies and institutions. It evaluates the quality of those education policies against evidence-based global standards, with the aim of helping countries systematically strengthen their education systems."
- Link: https://saber.worldbank.org/index.cfm
Profiles Enhancing Education Reviews (PEER) (UNESCO Global Education Monitoring Report)
- Description: "These Profiles Enhancing Education Reviews (PEER) aim to describe all countries’ laws and policies on key themes in education so as to improve the evidence base on the implementation of national education strategies. The profiles are related to the theme of the Global Education Monitoring (GEM) Report and are prepared by its team. Government validation of the content is being sought and each profile indicates whether such a validation has been obtained. The profiles contain two chapters so far, the first covering inclusion in education, the theme of the 2020 GEM Report. The second chapter covers equitable finance, made available in January, 2021 and analysed in a policy paper. An additional chapter will cover the provision and regulation of non-state actors in education, the theme of the 2021 GEM Report, in October, 2021."
- Link: https://education-profiles.org/
International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) diagrams (UNESCO Institute of Statistics)
- Description: "These country diagrams provide a visual image of the structure of national education systems classified according to ISCED 2011. ... The International Standard Classification of Education (ISCED) is the framework used to compare statistics on the education systems of countries worldwide. It is an important tool used to facilitate international comparisons and to benchmark and monitor progress on international education goals. It is used to produce comparable data and indicators that reflect today’s education priorities and policies. ISCED covers all formal and non-formal education programmes offered at any stage of life."
- Link: http://isced.uis.unesco.org/visualizations/
TIMSS Encyclopedia: Education Policy and Curriculum in Mathematics and Science (IEA)
- Description: "The TIMSS 2019 Encyclopedia: Education Policy and Curriculum in Mathematics and Science presents a profile of mathematics and science education in each of the countries and benchmarking systems that participated in TIMSS 2019. Each country and benchmarking participant completed the TIMSS 2019 curriculum questionnaire and prepared a chapter describing aspects of its mathematics and science education. Together, the curriculum questionnaire data and country chapters present a concise yet rich portrait of mathematics and science." Note: check previous years' editions for countries that did not participate in TIMSS 2019 but did participate in other rounds of TIMSS.
- Link: https://timssandpirls.bc.edu/timss2019/encyclopedia/index.html
Worlds of Education: Country Profiles (Education International)
Collections of curricula, legislation, and other policy documents
UNESCO IBE knowledge base on curricula and education systems
- Description: "Search approximately 23,000 records in the catalogue which includes titles acquired since 1979, as well as all IBE publications from 1927 to the present, with links to the full text where available. The catalogue also includes references to the collection of archived periodicals."
- Link: http://www.ibe.unesco.org/en/updates/search-our-knowledge-base-curricula-and-education-systems
UNESCO Institute of Statistics (UIS). 2008. A View inside primary schools: a world education indicators (WEI) cross-national study; executive summary.
- Countries: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, India, Malaysia, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Sri Lanka, Tunisia, Uruguay
- Level of education: primary
- Open-access link: https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000162406